Jul 12, 2012

Tokyo Subway Route Map

Link at infomapjapan: PDF of Tokyo Subway Route Map

Japanese subway route maps show an interesting detail: each station has its own number. I didn’t see such system on any other subway map in Europe or USA, there are only station-names. I experienced, that numbers are really helpful for visitors, which are not familiar with the many names and maybe also can’t pronounce them well. It’s easier to memorize the number for to get off at the right moment. And with making a countdown (or ~up) from station to station you would quickly recognize, if you ride into the wrong direction. よくできました!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't recognize that fact before, it's really interesting. On my travel trips to big cities I will observe this aspect. When I notice another system with station-numbers, I'll report you, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you. I'm curious about that topic too. Hope to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete